If you are reading this, you already know that healthy eating is important for your child’s growth. But, unfortunately, knowing is not enough. Before you complain about your baby’s eating habits, ask yourself whether you are trying enough to get him to eat healthy? Developing your child’s habit for eating good food takes time and effort. What’s important is these habits will have a lasting impact on his food choices, even later in life.
Here are some great ways to develop healthy eating habits in children.
- Do not restrict your child’s diet with only one or two food items. Rather, offer them a variety of food from every food group. This way, you will be able to chart a plan for healthy eating for kids, and they will also get all the required nutrients.
- While planning to give healthy food to children, make sure you ask about their choice as well. You can let them choose from various healthy food options.
- Keep trying to introduce a new variety of food in your child’s diet. Don’t do it in haste. Describe the food you are introducing, like its taste, texture, and smell to your child and then gradually offer one new food at a time. It is best to serve that new food item with a dish of your kid’s choice. You must explain the benefits associated with that new food while serving it to your child.
- When you go for grocery shopping, take your child along with you, and shop for healthy foods with him. This way, your child will be able to see a variety of healthy foods.
- Sometimes you can try cooking along with your children. It is a good way of building healthy eating habits. Get creative while cooking meals and ask your kids to help you with simple tasks like washing the veggies or plating them.
- You and your family should always eat together. Try serving the same food to everyone. This not only brings all the family members together, but your child will realise that he or she needs to eat what everyone else is.
- Never skip breakfast and always try to have a healthy breakfast.
- You should not use food items, especially unhealthy ones, as a means to show your affection. If you offer sweets as a reward to your kid, then they will think that sweets are better than the main food items.
- Always remember to switch off the television during meal times. Limit the screen time for kids to a maximum of 2 hours a day. If you want your kids to follow this, then you will also have to limit your screen time.
Remember that it’s also important as a parent to set the right example while inculcating healthy eating habits in your child. This is important if you want your child to be active and healthy in future too.
To learn more about Happy Growth and growing up milk visit https://www.nestle.in/brands/nestle-lactogrow