Plant Based Meat: The vegan way to good health
Who says vegans have to miss out on the tastiest delicacies? There’s absolutely no shortage of vegetarian meats that pack a plethora of health benefits inside. Quorn, beans, tofu, soya paneer, tempeh, seitan, and the list goes on. Try these 8 plant based meat alternatives for an appetising vegan diet.
If you want to follow a vegan diet but don’t want to miss out on all the food you love, then this article is for you. There are plenty of vegetarian meats on the market these days, but it can be tricky to determine which ones taste the best and which ones are worth spending your money on.
Here are some of the best vegetarian meats available today to help you forget about the real thing altogether.
What are plant-based meats?
Plant-based meats are food products made to look, taste, and feel like actual meat but are made from plant materials instead of animal flesh. These products are often made from soy protein, wheat gluten, or other vegetable-based proteins.
Top 8 Plant Based Meat Alternatives That Will Make You Forget About the Real meat
- Quorn: Quorn is a vegan meat alternative that is made from mycoprotein (a protein that has a meat-like texture). It is high in protein and fibre and low in cholesterol, fat, sugar, and sodium. It has a chewy texture and a slightly nutty flavour.
- Beans: Beans are great vegan meat alternatives because they have a high level of protein and fibre. They are also low in fat and calories and contain essential vitamins and minerals. There are many different types of beans, so it's easy to find one you like. Black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, and navy beans are excellent choices. You can also add them to recipes like bean tikki with veggies or veggie rolls with bean and grilled tofu stuffing.
- Tofu or Soya Paneer: Tofu is an excellent plant based meat for you. It contains plenty of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Tofu (made from soybeans) is high in protein and can be consumed in various ways, like tofu curry, salad, or even sausages. It is commonly used as a meat substitute because it’s so versatile, meaning it can replace chicken, seafood, beef, or pork.
- Tempeh: The next item on the list of vegan meats is tempeh. It is made up of soybeans and is high in protein, vitamins, minerals and fibre. It is a fermented soy product. It’s also low in sodium and saturated fat.
The fermentation process also means that tempeh contains plenty of probiotics, contributing to a healthy digestive system.
Just keep in mind that tempeh will absorb flavours quickly, so make sure you season it well.
- Seitan: Seitan is a great alternative meat for vegans. Seitan is made from wheat gluten and has a chewy texture that makes it an easy substitute for meat in many dishes. The most notable type of seitan is made with vital wheat gluten. Don’t mistake it for gluten itself—it’s just called that because vital wheat gluten is required to make it.
Seitan adds an almost meaty consistency to soups, stir-fries, and stews, but don’t be fooled by its versatility—it doesn’t taste much like real meat!
- Jackfruit: If you're looking for a nutritious and delicious vegan meat alternative, you can't ignore jackfruit! This excellent fruit is packed with carbs, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, making it a superbly healthy option for anyone looking to reduce their meat intake.
So if you're looking for a delicious meatless meat option that's also good for you, definitely give jackfruit a try! You won't be disappointed.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great plant based meat for vegans. They're low in calories, high in protein, and taste delicious when cooked correctly. Plus, they're very affordable and easy to find at most Indian grocery stores.
The best way to cook mushrooms is by sautéing them in a little bit of oil over medium heat until they're soft and slightly brown. You can then add them to salads, sandwiches, or pasta dishes for a quick and healthy meal.
- Nuts: Many plant based meat alternatives are made from nuts. They can be ground into a paste that is used to create vegan burgers, sausages, and other meat-like products. Some brands even use nut proteins to make vegan cheese.
Nuts are a great source of protein and healthy fats, making them perfect for vegan meat alternatives. They contain low carbs and calories, making them a healthy option for those looking to cut down on their intake.
The Benefits of Plant Meat
Some benefits of plant meat include:
- Plant meat is low in calories and high in nutrients, which can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Plant or vegan meat is a good source of fibre, protein, and other essential nutrients, boosting overall health.
- Plant Based meat is cholesterol-free and contains no saturated fat, making it a healthier alternative to animal-based meats.
- Plant meats are often high in antioxidants, protecting your body from harmful free radicals.
- Plant meats are generally environmentally friendly and sustainable, making them a smart choice for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint on the planet.
- They are becoming more and more available, making them easier to find and enjoy.
Overall, plant meat can be a delicious and healthy addition to any diet.
If you need a way to improve your health, you may want to consider eating plant-based meat. Vegetarian meats are made from plants, and they contain all of the nutrients found in meat, and that too, with low cholesterol or saturated fat.
Additionally, plant-based meats are lower in calories than traditional meat products, making them an excellent option for people trying to lose weight.
So if you're interested in improving your health while staying away from non vegetarian foods, consider giving plant-based meats a try. Check out AskNestle’s healthy recipes section for delectable recipes that are both easy to make and nutritious.