Want to stay refreshed all day long? It’s easier than you think. Learn how incorporating these tasty and nutritious homemade cooling drinks into your diet can save you from dehydration.
Excessive perspiration makes your body lose water more quickly during the summer. To beat the heat this summer, let us refresh and restore our bodies with some homemade summer drinks.
Refreshing drinks to beat the heat
The following is a list of cooling summer drinks that you can try:
1. Coconut Crush
A glass of cold coconut water or nariyal paani is just what you need on these hot summer days. It is one of the best summer season drinks with a refreshing flavour and subtle sweetness. To create coconut crush, remove the malai from a tender coconut and place it in a bowl. Combine coconut water and malai in a mixing jar. Serve chilled!
Health Benefits of Coconut Crush:
- Low in calories with no added sugar.
- A natural diuretic that helps flush out toxins from the body.
- Provides minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc.
2. Homemade Nimbu Paani (lemonade) with a Healthy Twist
Lemonade or nimbu paani is the first beverage that comes to our mind as Indians when we talk about summer cooling drinks. To create a healthier version of the age-old nimbu paani, crush some mint leaves and soak some chia seeds for 15-20 minutes.
Add some lemon juice, (you may add some sugar or calorie-free sweeteners like stevia), crushed mint leaves, and soaked chia seeds to a tall glass with water, and mix. Your healthy nimbu paani is ready. Try this refreshing summer drink and feel rejuvenated after a long day.
Health Benefits of Nimbu Paani (lemonade):
- Hydrating drink with minimal calories.
- Lemon juice contains citric acid, which helps the body break down and digest food.
3. Savoury Summer Chaas (buttermilk) with Cucumber
Buttermilk is one of the best drinks to hydrate your body in the summer season. To create a healthier version of the age-old, summer-friendly chaas, add some roasted cumin powder, a few crushed mint leaves, grated cucumber, a pinch of black salt, and finely chopped coriander to a glass of buttermilk. Add 1 tablespoon (12 - 15 grams) of chia seeds (soaked for 15 - 20 minutes before use) to the mix. Your summer-friendly chaas is ready to be served.
Health Benefits of Chaas (buttermilk):
- It is nutrient-rich and cooling.
- It is rich in gut-friendly bacteria.
- Buttermilk consumption helps in controlling blood pressure, according to studies.
4. Watermelon Smoothie
Watermelon is a juicy and tasty summer fruit, packed with essential nutrients and minerals. Try this summer special drink to quench your thirst. This recipe calls for three parts watermelon and one part ice cubes. Ice will keep the watermelon juice cold without raising the temperature.
Health Benefits of Watermelon Smoothie:
- Rich in nutrients and minerals like vitamins A, B6, C, lycopene, and more.
- Low in calories and high in water content.
- Contains soluble fibre which can aid in digestion.
5. Cooling Barley Water
Barley water is a traditional cooling and hydrating drink in India. Here’s our go-to barley water cooling drink. To prepare this cocktail, combine barley with water. Allow it to boil and then cool. Add a pinch of salt, lemon, and a sprinkling of honey to top it off before serving.
Health Benefits of Barley Water:
- Lactic acid in barley water can help break down food.
- It has magnesium and potassium which can potentially help in improving blood circulation and lower cholesterol.
6. Sugarcane Juice or (Ganne ka juice)
Sugarcane juice is a very popular summer drink in India. It is a good source of a variety of nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, potassium,magnesium and more. Tired of plain old ganne ka juice? Try this drink: While adding sugarcane juice to your summer cooling drinks list, don't forget to add 5-6 mint leaves, along with lemon and black salt (optional).
Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice:
- It is a source of instant energy as it contains a naturally healthy dose of simple sugars.
- Antioxidants present in the juice help fight infections and boost immunity.
7. Jaljeera with Coriander and Mint
To make a refreshing jaljeera drink, mix all the spices (roasted cumin powder, dry mango powder, ground black pepper, black salt) and the herbs in a cup/glass of your liking. Then add some cold water and stir till all the ingredients are mixed together. Serve it chilled with a couple of ice cubes and feel your body cool down.
Health Benefits of Jaljeera:
Jaljeera is a healthy summer drink and comes packed with the following benefits:
- It has cumin, which is known to aid in improving digestion.
- It has fennel, which can aid in reducing bloating.
Refreshing summer drinks are meant to keep you cool and hydrated during the hotter months of the year. And we've got you covered, whether you're searching for a healthy beverage to keep you going or something to enjoy on a hot day. The cooling drinks listed above are simple, refreshing and hydrating, making them ideal for hot summer days. Make these summer drinks at home and enjoy them with your friends and family.