12 healthy foods to reduce bloating
Every once in a while, most people feel their tummies are puffed up. Diet can significantly treat this condition of trapped gas, and if you’ve been looking for food to reduce bloating, this blog will help you make the right choice. Read on to learn about the 12 different ingredients obtained naturally that can help reduce or prevent excessive bloating and flatulence.
Bloating is a common gastrointestinal condition and is characterised by a heavy and uncomfortable feeling in the abdomen. The condition makes the belly feel full and puffed with gas. It is quite a tiresome symptom that also affects the quality of life
Although it is encountered frequently by many, generally, the concept of bloating is not fully understood as the causes could be varied. In this article, we’ll take a look at the foods that reduce gassiness and treat bloating. If a ballooned stomach is stopping you from living life to the fullest, here are the top 10 foods to reduce bloating quickly.
Food to reduce bloating
- Oats: Consuming soluble fibre, especially psyllium, is known to improve the symptoms of bloating. Oats are good sources of this type of fibre, so if you’re wondering how to treat stomach gas, having a bowl of oats during breakfast in the form of oatmeal porridge would be a good idea!
- Banana: A small study performed on women discovered that daily consumption of bananas may significantly lower flatulence levels, making bananas one of the most promising foods that reduce gas and bloating.
- Apple: Since water retention in the body can also make you feel bloated, it is wise to include potassium-rich foods that help in maintaining water balance. Fruits like bananas and apples that are rich in potassium can be helpful in this case.
- Pineapple: If you’re wondering what to eat when bloated and gassy, consider including a few pieces of pineapple in your diet. The unique active component of pineapple is bromelain, and it is beneficial in relieving the symptoms of bloating and flatulence.
- Yoghurt: Yoghurt is an extremely beneficial food to reduce bloating because it acts as a probiotic - a substance that contains live microorganisms helpful for the gut. For patients suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, probiotics present in yoghurt can not only reduce bloating but also improve the frequency and ease of bowel transit.
- Peppermint tea: Foods that can relax the muscles of the abdomen are used to treat abdominal pain and bloating. Peppermint oil is known to possess this feature, which is why when consumed as a tea, it can act as a food for bloating.
- Ginger: Ginger is an essential dietary agent used to treat flatulence and bloating. It imparts a carminative effect (potential to relieve air), which makes it one of the best gas relieving foods. It is also known to decrease the pressure in the lower parts of the food pipe. You can try this Ginger Buttermilk to treat bloating issues.
- Turmeric: Thanks to the presence of an active compound called curcumin, turmeric is used as one of the foods to reduce bloating quickly and can also treat indigestion.
- Fennel seeds: Along with being a good antioxidant, fennel seeds serve as a natural remedy when one feels bloated. Usually, the seeds are boiled in water, and when the volume is reduced to one-fourth, a small amount of common salt is added and the concoction is sipped to obtain relief from gas.
- Cumin and ajwain: Cumin is known to improve the overall gastrointestinal function and is considered an effective remedy in the removal of flatulence, whereas ajwain seeds possess gas-relieving properties. The combination of black cumin with ajwain in equal amounts at the beginning and end of the meal is recommended to treat the symptoms associated with gas.
- Asafoetida: As a kitchen spice, asafoetida is obtained from the root of the plant and is usually consumed in its powdered form. It is known to help with digestion and motion sickness as well as reduce bloating.
- A blend of herbs: The addition of some herbs, such as dill, parsley, and basil, to regular meals gives rise to many recipes that are considered food to reduce bloating.
What to avoid during bloating
While certain foods reduce bloating quickly, some dietary habits can aggravate the condition. The following are the foodstuffs and habits that should be avoided:
- Take a break from milk as the reason behind your bloating can be lactose intolerance
- Limit the consumption of vegetables like onions, beans, and Brussels sprouts
- Skip dried fruits like raisins and apricots
- Do not gulp down big bites. Food should be chewed thoroughly and coated with saliva before swallowing
- Avoid drinking beverages while consuming food or immediately after consumption
- Modify the foods that are known to cause gas. For example, soaking cowpeas and yam beans for 12 hours and cooking for 30 minutes can degrade the components that induce the feeling of flatulence
Now, we hope that you have a better idea of what to eat when bloated and gassy. While bloating is a commonly encountered and quite bothersome condition among people of all age groups, it can be managed to some extent through the right diet and habits. The above list of foods that reduce gassiness can help you make conscious decisions to regulate the occurrence of flatulence and improve the quality of your life!