Pomegranate Benefits - A Gift for All Genders
From remeding inflammation to viral fever, there are plenty of pomegranate fruit benefits that make it a superfruit. It can also improve memory, bone health, and blood circulation in your body. Don’t forget to consume this perfect blend of vitamin c, potassium, and folate this summer.
Pomegranate is a purplish, red, round, and juicy fruit loaded with vitamins and minerals, and it is preferred by a lot of people worldwide due to its unique taste and potential health benefits. It is frequently termed a "superfood.”
We will discuss further the pomegranate benefits for females and males, which are diverse because of its high content of multiple nutrients. It is a wonder food that has various medicinal effects too because of its anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, anti-viral, and anti-tumour properties.
Pomegranates are a rich source of vitamin C and they also have a high level of vitamin B5 (pantothenic), vitamin E, potassium, folate, and natural phenols like flavonoids and ellagitannins.
Below, we’ve indexed pomegranate’s potential nutrients that are essential for physical health and the prevention of diseases as per Indian Food Composition tables (IFCT 2017):
|Nutrient content of Pomegranate (per 100 grams serving)|
|4||Total fat||0.15 g|
|Micronutrients (vitamins and minerals)|
|6||Vitamin A||2.05 µg|
|7||Vitamin D||109 µg|
|8||Vitamin E||0.03 µg|
|9||Vitamin K||18.5 µg|
|17||Vitamin C||12.69 mg|
|18||Thiamine (B1)||0.06 mg|
|22||Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.42 mg|
|23||Vitamin (B6)||0.29 mg|
|24||Folate (B9)||38.64 µg|
|25||Biotin (B7)||0.60 µg|
Health Benefits of eating pomegranate
There are many proven health benefits of pomegranate. Pomegranate health benefits include:
- Nutrient-rich: Pomegranate is a good source of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), potassium, and natural phenols including ellagitannins and flavonoids, and offer around 16 percent of an adult's daily vitamin C requirement per 100 g intake.
- Body protecting properties: Indian scientific studies have stated that pomegranates have anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumour, and anti-cancerous properties, and it also enhances your immunity level too.
- Improved memory: Benefits of eating pomegranates have shown exceptionally positive results in memory function.
- Regulates blood pressure: Benefits of eating pomegranates also maintain your blood pressure level as they contain punicic acid, which reduces your blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides and is known as a potential pomegranate fruit benefit.
- Reduction of stress level: One of the pertinent pomegranate benefits is that it reduces your stress level. Daily intake of pomegranate juice lowers your cortisol level, a stress hormone that spikes up during stressful conditions.
- Maintain oral hygiene: Pomegranates have a hydroalcoholic extract that helps in maintaining your oral hygiene. It also decreases plaque formation. There is a reduction in plaque formation from the consumption of pomegranates on a daily basis.
- Improves bone health and athletic performance: Pomegranates have polyphenols that increase your endurance level, and they are also good for your bone health. The antioxidant content further enhances your activity and performance level.
- Maintain digestive health: Pomegranates have good fibre content that is beneficial for digestion.
- Improves fertility: Pomegranates are a great source of dietary fibre, as well as vitamins C, A, folic acid /folate, and potassium as well as other nutrients that are good for your health. Additionally, it contains a lot of phenolic substances, as well as certain alkaloids, triterpenes, and sterols. Although folic acid is advised for women of childbearing age in order to prevent birth abnormalities. Folic acid supplement use has been linked to higher pregnancy rates.
- Improves liver function: Pomegranates increase healthy liver enzymes that protect the liver from harmful toxins and aid digestion.
- Maintenance of weight: Pomegranate promotes healthy weight gain if taken daily before a meal as it has a good content of fibre and helps in providing that feeling of being full and satiated.
Hence, its optimum daily consumption has a favourable effect on the body. It is also widely consumed in the form of pills, pomegranate extract capsules, gels etc.
Pomegranate Benefits for Women
Aside from the benefits stated above, here’s how eating pomegranates can help women live a healthier life:
- It can induce anti-hemorrhagic activity against heavy menstrual bleeding.
- It helps in improving menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes.
Pomegranates, besides being delicious, have also become an important part of the nutraceutical, herbal, and cosmetic industries too for their potential health benefits. There are multiple evidence-based research papers which have proved the significant positive effect of the consumption of this healthy fruit.
You can add pomegranates to your diet in various ways, like making sprouts pomegranates salad , carrot and pomegranate juice and many other things. It is beneficial if you start your day with its juice or have the whole fruit for all the pomegranate benefits.