Sweetcorn benefits - Why Is Sweetcorn An Ideal Monsoon Munching Option?
Admit it! The monsoon season brings with it a craving for tasty snacks as you enjoy the rain. But that doesn’t mean these snacks have to be unhealthy. Try munching on some sweet corn snacks this monsoon. These recipes will not only delight your taste buds but may also contribute to developing a healthy physique by imparting many sweet corn benefits.
Monsoons are all about listening to the pitter-patter of rain and watching grey clouds loom promisingly. It is also about digging into delicious finger foods while thunderstorms keep you company. But it doesn’t mean giving in to cravings without paying any attention to your health. Healthy eating does not imply a lack of flavour.
Rather, the right foods have vital nutrients that can both satiate your palate and improve your health. Sweet corn is one such food. Additionally, there are many benefits of eating corn. So, here, we have shared several easy-to-make sweet corn benefits and corn snacks that you can enjoy at home on those gloomy, rainy evenings.
Read on to know all about sweet corn's nutritional benefits and the easy, tasty snacks you can prepare with it.
Health Benefits of Sweet Corn
Why say yes to sweet corn as a monsoon snacking option? These sweet corn health benefits have the answer:
- Sweet corn possesses high-quality phyto-nutrients comprising dietary fibre, antioxidants and vitamins.
- Additionally, it has healthy concentrations of several essential B-complex vitamins, including thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folates, riboflavin and pyridoxine.
- A, B3, and C vitamins are present in sufficient proportions in sweet corn, which is also high in carbohydrates and sugars. This is another one of the benefits of eating sweet corn.
- Ferulic acid, an antioxidant that is present in the cell walls and insoluble components of sweet corn, can help reduce the risk of diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and neurological conditions like Alzheimer's disease.
- Sweet corn contains folic acid, which helps to produce healthy red blood cells and ward off anaemia.
- Sweet corn includes pantothenic acid, which is regarded as a vitamin important for the body's metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids.
- Another one of the benefits of eating corn is that it is a gluten free cereal that can be easily consumed by those who have celiac disease.
Corn Snacks For Monsoon
Now that you know the benefits of eating sweet corn, it’s time we dwell on the tasty sweet corn snack recipes. Below, we’ve listed some of the most popular and healthy sweet corn snacks filled with many sweet corn benefits:
1. Sweet Corn Soup:
Try this tasty corn snack to fill your tummy and energise your body.
a large cob of sweet corn, water, butter, 2 cloves of garlic, chopped onion, black pepper, and black salt.
- Steam the sweet corn cob for 30 minutes. Then, with the help of a knife, separate the corn kernels.
- Then make a thick paste of steamed sweet corn.
- Take a pan and add butter to it.
- Add chopped garlic and onion to the pan.
- Let the onion and garlic turn brown. Then add the paste of boiled corn.
- Add vegetable stock to achieve the desired consistency.
- Add salt, pepper and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
2. Cheese Sweet Corn Balls:
These delicious deep-fried potato and cheese balls are the stuff of dreams. They are crispy and golden on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside. Best part? They are filled with sweet corn benefits. This tried-and-true recipe for this well-liked Indian snack is also gluten-free and vegetarian, making it the ideal starter to share.
Potato, processed cheese, crushed black pepper, cumin powder, gramme flour, coriander chopped leaves, corn flour, black salt, and oil to fry .
- Boil potatoes and sweet corn.
- Mash them and make a dough-like structure.
- Add all the ingredients, like processed cheese, black pepper, cumin powder, coriander leaves, corn flour, gramme flour, black salt, and mix them properly.
- Then make balls out of the dough and deep fry them or microwave them by just greasing oil on the surface of the balls.
- Serve hot and crispy.
Apart from the recipes above, you can also try various other tempting AskNestle recipes like boiled sweet corn with butter, sweet corn tomato salad, chicken sweet corn soup, sweet corn avocado soup and more.
Both kids and adults can enjoy meals made with sweet corn. And as you know by now, corn health benefits are many. It has anti-ageing properties and contains beta carotene which improves vision. Whichever form of sweet corn you prefer to eat, the benefits of eating sweet corn remain more or less the same.