Do you need supplements during pregnancy?
So, you are all set to become a mom! And this means, you already know how important a nutritious diet is for you and your baby. Also, your gynaecologist must have prescribed you certain supplements for a healthy pregnancy. Now, this might make you wonder whether you should be having those, especially if you are already having well-balanced and home-cooked meals. So, read on to know more about the importance of supplements during pregnancy.
Importance of supplements during pregnancy
The prenatal vitamins consist of an array of vitamins and minerals that help your baby get the nutrients that are vital for healthy growth and development. These prenatal supplements also help the mother have a healthy pregnancy outcome. It readies the mother’s body to meet the rigours of the pregnancy and post-pregnancy periods.
Supplements are also essential during pregnancy, as food aversions and vomiting are very common, leading to gaps in nutrient intake. And since nutrient requirements are more than usual during this phase, supplements help to bridge the gap between the amount of nutrients a mother needs and the amount which gets fulfilled by her diet.
Importance of home food during pregnancy
Always remember that having a smooth pregnancy is not only about following a proper diet, but also about how you healthily manage that diet. If you are taking a lot of medicines, supplements, and yet you are not taking the foods that are required to support these solutes, then it might create a problem. Yes, supplements are vital, but they act well when consumed along with nutritious home-cooked food.
Often, people might tell you that an expecting mother needs to have food for two. Remember that they are not talking about the quantity usually. It refers to how much nutrition a mother must take in regularly. After all, this plays a vital role for you and your baby. Eating and drinking healthy foods and beverages, while avoiding some foods and drinks like carbonated drinks, raw eggs or raw fish, are essential to avoid any complications during childbirth.
The idea is to consume supplements in a way that they get optimally utilized by the body. This can only be done if you are also consuming adequate homemade food.
Now let’s throw some light on the must-haves during pregnancy which will optimize your supplement intake:
- Always try to follow a complete diet that contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, fats, fibre and so on.
- Nuts are specifically desirable during pregnancy for many reasons. The primary one is that, as the pregnancy advances, the mother starts eating less due to the continuous pressure on her internal organs.
- Salads, which include fruits and fresh vegetables of different colours and textures, are perfect for a balanced diet. They provide you with vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates, which are necessary for your baby to thrive.
- Having green and leafy like spinach, methi, and broccoli will give you the vitamins, fibre, potassium, and calcium that are needed for a healthy pregnancy, for holding the baby till full term, and for developing denser and stronger bones in the baby.
- Brown, instead of white bread, or unpolished rice, and chapati made of wheat flour rather than maid a should be your must-haves. Curd or yoghurt are good sources of probiotics and calcium.
All in all, during pregnancy, the nutritional requirements of a woman increase, creating a gap between her dietary intake and amount of nutrients she needs during that time. In order to fill that gap, supplements are essential. Consuming supplements does not mean that you can neglect the importance of home-cooked food though. The key is to maintain a balance between a healthy diet and supplements.